Finding the best lightweight comforter is important for those who live in mild climates and tend to get hot in their sleep. A thin lightweight comforter allows you to feel snug and warm without being weighed down and restricted. The best ones are, of course, lightweight white goose down comforters. However, they are rather expensive and demanding in terms of care. Besides, some people tend to be allergic to natural goose down and feathers, so having a comforter with such a fill is not a healthy choice for them.
So what is the best down comforter for allergies? Quality goose down alternative fill is hypoallergenic, hygienic, and feels just as comfy as its natural analog. In terms of fluffiness and heat retention, such comforters can boast excellent characteristics. And last but not least, a comforter with high-quality synthetic fill is usually lighter than the same comforter with natural fill.
As you can see, getting a lightweight down alternative comforter is quite a reasonable decision. Just like with any other product it is important to know characteristics that define a great lightweight comforter. Now let’s review five best lightweight comforters from our today’s pick.
Top Best Lightweight Comforter in January, 2019
|Home Hotel Collection Lightweight Comforter||Thin||Spring, summer, fall||Brown, gray, taupe, navy, khaki, white||100% microfiber|
|Chezmoi Collection Comforter(Editor’s Choice)||Medium||Fall, winter, spring||White||100% polyester|
|Linenspa All-Season Comforter(Editor’s Choice)||Medium||All seasons, except for hot summers||White, grey/striped, navy/graphite, beige/brown, light gray/dark gray||100% microfiber|
|Natural Comfort Comforter||Thin||Warm spring and fall, summer||White with checkered texture||Polyester fill, microfiber shell|
|Superior Down Alternative Comforter||Medium||Fall, winter, spring||White||Polyester fill, microfiber shell|
1. ienjoy Home 1500 Series – The Best Down Comforter for Hot Sleepers. Summer Weight Down Comforter (Queen, King, Twin)
This is a 100% microfiber down alternative comforter. It is rather thin and lightweight, perfect for summer, late spring, and early fall. Its simple design features durable box stitching that keeps the fill in place even after many washes. The item is available in six colors: white, gray, taupe, brown, dark blue and khaki.This lightweight comforter provides snugness and comfort without loading too much weight on you. It is great even for hot sleepers since it won’t cause excessive sweating. The comforter is machine washable and can be dried in a tumble dryer on a low cycle.
- 100% microfiber
- Box stitching.
- Available in six colors.
- Thin and lightweight.
2. Chezmoi Collection – The Light Warmth Down Alternative Comforter
This lightweight comforter of Chezmoi Collection is made of 100% polyester. Unlike the real goose down, the polyester fill is hypoallergenic, but at the same time it is quite fluffy and has decent insulating properties. The comforter is lightweight and rather warm, but not too hot. Depending on your personal temperature perception, you can use it during either warm or cold seasons. In combination with a duvet cover and a blanket, it will provide comfort and warmth even during cold winter nights.The comforter is designed to be conveniently used with a duvet cover. It has corner loops to which the cover with inner ties can be attached. Piped edges help the comforter stay aligned with the sides of the duvet cover. The fill is secured in place by double-needle box stitching.
This product is machine washable. It can either be air dried or tumbled on low to regain its fluffiness.
- Polyester shell and fill.
- Box stitching.
- Corner loops and piped edges.
3. Linenspa All-Season Quilted Comforter – The Best Down Comforter for Winter, Late Fall, and Early Spring
Linenspa offers a reversible quilted comforter with microfiber fill. The comforter is available in five color schemes (including plain white) to match the design and mood of every bedroom. It can be used both independently and in combination with a duvet cover. There are eight tabs (in the corners and one on each side) which can be used to secure a comforter inside a duvet cover to avoid shifting and twisting.
A microfiber fabric used in this comforter is a little shiny, but quite pleasant to the touch. The comforter is of medium thickness. It can help you stay warm fall through spring but will be too hot to sleep under in the summer. While being rather on the light side, this comforter provides a snug and comfy sleeping experience.
- Microfiber shell and fill.
- Box stitching.
- Eight corner and side tabs.
- Medium thickness.
4. Natural Comfort Down Alternative – The Best Lightweight Comforter for Summer
This is an extremely lightweight comforter. It has only 34 ounces of weight in king size, so you should not get hot under it during warm summer nights. Also, if you prefer to make your bed tucking the blankets under the mattress, this lightweight comforter will suit your bed-making style.
The comforter is made of 100% synthetic (polyester) fill and microfiber shell. It is easy to maintain, it does not have to undergo any special treatment. Being not too fluffy, this lightweight comforter can fit into any washing and drying machine.
- Embossed microfiber shell.
- Polyester fill.
- Box stitching.
- Extra lightweight.
5. Superior Solid White Comforter – A Pacific Coast Lightweight Comforter. The Best Summer Weight Down Comforter
This is a plain white medium-weight comforter designed for all-year-round use. The shell is made of soft breathable microfiber and filled with synthetic material. Microfiber fabric is soothing to the touch, rustle-free and wrinkle-resistant. Double-needle box stitching prevents the fill from migrating inside the shell. This comforter will perfectly match white bedding or can be used as an insert with any duvet cover.
The item is machine washable and can be dried in a tumble dry on low. It is advisable to wash it on gentle cycle without bleach or other aggressive detergents.
- Medium weight.
- Microfiber shell.
- Hypoallergenic polyester fill.
- Box stitching.
A Concise Buyer’s Guide to Choosing the Best Down Comforter for Warm Climates
The market of down and down alternative lightweight comforters offer such a wide array of choices that it is quite easy to get lost among them. At a first glance, all the comforters seem the same. Let’s find this out.
So what is the best type of down comforters?
- First of all, the comforter should fit your bed properly. A good comforter is supposed to hang somewhat below the mattress (or even all the way to the floor if you are pursuing a more sophisticated look). If you have a thick mattress or simply not sure about the size of it, you should always buy a comforter one size up (e. g., if you have a queen bed a king-size comforter will be the right choice).
- If you want to buy an all-seasons best lightweight comforter, you should lean toward a thinner one with all other things being equal. In case you get cold during a chilly night, you can always add a blanket, but if your comforter turns out too hot for the summer, you will have to get another one.
- Think about how you are going to use your down comforter: with a duvet cover or as a single piece. In a letter case, you should opt for a comforter with high-quality fabric that will not pill or pick up lint. The fabric should also be pleasant to the touch, antistatic and not too noisy. Needless to say, the color of the comforter should go along with bedroom design. Alternatively, if you prefer to use a down comforter as an insert, you should choose the one with corner loops, to which duvet cover can be tied down. Of course, you can make them by yourself, but if you are not much into sewing, getting a ready-made product would be preferable. The best color for a duvet insert is plain white. It will not show through a cover and interfere with the design.
How to choose a down comforter?
Does lightweight mean that the down comforter is not warm?
Some people tend to believe that thin lightweight comforters are not warm and are only good for summertime. In fact, everything depends on the type of fill used in each particular case. There are materials that allow the manufacturers to produce thin lightweight comforters that will keep you warm even when the temperature outside drops very low.
Living in a warm climate does not mean you have to deny yourself a pleasure of crawling under a puffy blanket for a sound night sleep. Today we can enjoy plentiful options of lightweight comforters for every style and budget. The most important thing is to choose the one that will satisfy your needs. Hopefully, this product review and buyer’s guide will help you make a deliberate choice. There is no need to compromise – stylish, comfy and affordable lightweight comforters are out there and you will definitely find the one that is perfect for you.